Key Rate Decisions from Three Major Central Banks in a Single Week – What to Expect

FinanceFeeds Editorial Team

Prepare for significant rate decisions by the Bank of Japan, the U.S. Federal Reserve, and the Bank of England. Gain valuable insights into the global financial landscape and stay informed about the outcomes of these critical decisions.

This week, the spotlight is on the Bank of Japan, Bank of England, and the U.S. Federal Reserve as they convene to discuss monetary policy and potential shifts in key interest rates. It’s crucial to delve into the macroeconomic indicators that these central banks closely monitor.

Before its decision, the Bank of Japan is closely monitoring 10-year bond yields. Recent global interest rate increases have prompted considerations of new yield curve control (YCC) measures, which could be announced at the end of the October 30-31 policy meeting. YCC is a tool used by the BOJ to maintain the 10-year Japanese government bond (JGB) yield at around 0%. In July, the BOJ raised the effective yield cap from 0.5% to 1.0% to allow long-term rates to rise further in response to higher inflation. However, the surge in U.S. bond yields is driving Japanese yields higher, challenging the BOJ’s efforts to keep domestic interest rates low, with 10-year bond yields nearing the 1% limit set in July.

The growing economic disparity between Japan and the rest of the world is exerting significant pressure on the Japanese yen and leading to imported inflation. Given the uncertainty surrounding global economic growth and labor market conditions, the BOJ may refrain from measures to move away from ultra-accommodative policies. However, if the 10-year JGB yield approaches around 0.9% early in the week, the BOJ might have to take action, as suggested by Octa analyst Kar Yong Ang.

The U.S. Federal Reserve is expected to maintain its current rates during the November meeting. A week ahead of the decision, the likelihood of the Fed raising interest rates on November 1 has diminished, partly due to the slight rise in long-term bond yields, with 10-year yields currently at 4.86%, up from 4.5% at the last policy-setting meeting. Moreover, market expectations, as indicated by the CME FedWatch Tool, currently predict a 98% chance of the rate remaining unchanged on November 1. Additionally, recent economic data indicates a general decline in inflation, though it hasn’t yet returned to the 2% target. The latest employment data signal a slowdown in wage growth, aligning with the Fed’s hopes for a potential pause, according to Octa analyst Kar Yong Ang. He added that if the U.S. Fed keeps rates steady, the U.S. dollar might exhibit short-term weakness.

In November, the Bank of England is likely to extend its rate pause. The Bank of England (BOE) will assess the latest data on wage growth and inflation before deciding on the bank rate, with the interest rate decision scheduled for November 2. In the previous month, the BOE surprised markets by keeping borrowing costs unchanged at 5.25% for the first time in nearly two years.

According to the latest Consumer Prices Index (CPI) data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), released on October 18, the year-over-year price growth in the U.K. remained at 6.7% in September, consistent with the previous two months. On a monthly basis, there was a 0.5% increase in September, compared to 0.3% in August and a -0.4% decrease in September of the previous year.

Despite declining last month, annual inflation remained stable in September and moved further away from the peak levels recorded in October 2022 (11.1% year-on-year). Slowing inflation is a primary reason for considering an extension of the rate pause, as noted by Octa analyst Kar Yong Ang. He emphasized that if the rate remains unchanged, there could be a local weakening of the national currency.

The decisions related to monetary policy and central bank rates have a substantial impact on long-term economic regulation. Tightening monetary policy tends to strengthen the exchange rate, while loosening it tends to weaken the exchange rate. All three upcoming meetings are expected to have a soft and dovish tone. Make use of this information judiciously.

About Octa

Octa is a global broker offering online trading services since 2011, catering to clients across 180 countries with more than 42 million trading accounts. It provides commission-free access to financial markets and an array of educational resources, webinars, articles, and analytical tools to assist clients in reaching their investment objectives.

The company actively engages in charitable and humanitarian initiatives, focusing on improving educational infrastructure and undertaking rapid-response relief projects to support local communities.

Octa has garnered over 60 awards since its establishment, including the ‘Best Educational Broker 2023’ from Global Forex Awards and the ‘Best Global Broker Asia 2022’ from International Business Magazine.

Read this next

Digital Assets

Binance to phase out BUSD support in two weeks

Binance has announced its plans to gradually phase out support for its native stablecoin, BUSD (Binance USD) by December 15, 2023. This move comes after Paxos, the issuer of BUSD, decided to stop minting new tokens.


Binance Labs invests $3.15M in Open Campus to advance Web3 education

Binance Labs, the venture capital arm of the cryptocurrency giant Binance, has invested $3.15 million in Web3 education platform Open Campus.

Institutional FX

Brighty App unveils EU B2B payment platform amidst exploding market

Brighty App is set to launch its European B2B platform, Brighty Business, this month. This platform is geared towards improving how businesses handle their financial operations, especially in the digital banking and cryptocurrency domains.

Digital Assets

Celsius’ withdrawal process slowed by overwhelming demand

Bankrupt crypto lender Celsius is taking steps to allow certain customers to withdraw their funds. However, some users have reported difficulties in logging in to process their withdrawals, as indicated by posts on various social media platforms.

Digital Assets

Cristiano Ronaldo hit with $1 billion lawsuit over Binance NFTs

Cristiano Ronaldo, the renowned footballer, is facing a class-action lawsuit in the United States over his promotion of Binance, the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange.

Digital Assets

Zipmex creditors offered 3.35 cents on the dollar payout

Zipmex, a Thai crypto exchange grappling with financial difficulties, has proposed a restructuring plan to repay its creditors.

Digital Assets

FSB warns of risks posed by multifunction crypto-asset intermediaries

The report on Multifunction Crypto-Asset Intermediaries (MCIs) provides an in-depth analysis of these entities which combine various crypto-asset services and products, typically centering around a trading platform. These services can include proprietary trading, investment functions, issuance, promotion, and distribution of crypto-assets, including stablecoins.

Retail FX

Indonesia launches PosPay Gold: a Sharia-compliant physical gold trading app powered by Kinesis

“Partnerships like the just realized POSPay Gold in Indonesia will revolutionize the global monetary system and economy and will enable citizens to have access to trading in gold while being sharia-compliant and having the freedom to realize their everyday financial needs.”

Retail FX

Webull acquires Flink to enter Mexican market ahead of further LATAM expansion

“Given our success in the United States and the establishment of our global headquarters in St. Petersburg, Florida, the Mexican market is a natural next step in our efforts to democratize finance for investors across the world. We anticipate using Mexico as a springboard into greater Latin and South America, where we believe there is a strong desire among retail investors to access global markets.”