Oasys (OAS): Unpacking the Multi-Layered Framework for Blockchain Gaming
Oasys, a decentralized gaming platform originating from Japan and Singapore, offers a tailored blockchain experience backed by industry giants like Ubisoft and SEGA, emphasizing speed, scalability, and transactional efficiency with a vision to reshape the future of the gaming industry.
Founded in Japan and Singapore, Oasys is a decentralized platform backed by titans in the gaming space, namely Ubisoft and SEGA. With its advanced features and gaming-focused innovations, Oasys promises a future where gamers and developers experience an unparalleled blockchain gaming environment.
Oasys’ inception traces back to the challenges faced by the board members of double jump.tokyo. As passionate web3 game developers, their struggles with the limitations of existing blockchains led to the establishment of Oasys in February 2022.
- Decentralization and Empowerment: Oasys adopts a decentralized approach to video gaming, transferring real power to the hands of gamers and developers. Its goal is clear: establishing itself as the global benchmark for blockchain gaming.
- Cutting-Edge Partnerships: Collaboration with gaming giants and web3 firms enables Oasys to offer secure, swift transactions and genuine in-game asset ownership and transferability.
- Dual-layer Architecture: At its core, Oasys adopts a dual-layer architecture, split into the Hub Layer and Verse Layer. This structure is pivotal in addressing some of the toughest challenges posed to blockchain game developers.
Oasys was born to solve two fundamental challenges in the blockchain realm: high gas fees and slow transactions. Oasys, even being relatively young in the market, aligns its objectives with infrastructure developers like Solana, Avalanche, and Polygon – all working towards achieving a scalable blockchain ecosystem. Their emphasis on high scalability, rapid transaction speeds, and minimal gas fees promises a better user experience.
- Proof-of-Stake and EVM Compatibility: Being a PoS, EVM-compatible blockchain, Oasys ensures rapid, scalable, and notably, gas-free transactions, all of which are essential for the blockchain gaming landscape. Oasys’s EVM compatibility also ensures that developers can leverage existing EVM resources across most chains with minor alterations. Moreover, most EVM development tools are Oasys-friendly, simplifying game migration with minimal effort and cost.
- Gaming-Centric Design: Unlike generic blockchain platforms, Oasys caters explicitly to the gaming world. This focus enables it to address gaming-specific challenges while delivering a feature palette perfect for both developers and gamers.
- Two-layer Structure: Oasys’s original two-layer system, including the Hub and Verse layers, forms its backbone. The Hub layer oversees vital functions like rollup details and FT and NFT management, while the Verse layer facilitates the smooth operation of the gaming dApps.
- Optimistic Rollup Solution: This feature allows Oasys to batch-process transactions, enhancing efficiency and speed. Optimistic Rollups are central to Oasys’s capability to handle the intensive transaction demands intrinsic to gaming applications.
- Hub and Verse Layers: The Hub Layer guarantees stability and scalability, even under intense transactional pressures. On the other hand, the Verse Layer, built with Layer 2 technology, offers outstanding scalability, transaction speeds, and data availability.
- February 2022: Oasys was launched.
- July 2022: Raised $20 million in a Private Sale. This funding round saw the participation of notable backers such as Republic Capital, Jump Crypto, Crypto.com, Huobi, Kucoin, Gate.io, Bitbank, and Mirana Ventures.
- December 2022: Oasys’ Mainnet Launch, conducted a successful public sale, and had its token listed across multiple centralized exchanges (CEXs).
- January 2023: Oasys made its debut on the Japanese Exchange, bitbank.
- June 2023: Oasys held a special event at Nijo-castle, announcing several new game titles.
Partnerships and Collaborations
Oasys’ capability is reflected through a list of heavyweight “validators” from the gaming world. This list boasts names like Bandai Namco Research, SEGA, Ubisoft, Netmarble, Wemade, Com2uS, and Yield Guild Games. Their role, given the proof-of-stake mechanism, is pivotal in verifying the authenticity of data on the network.
Oasys plans to transition into a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO), eliminating a central authority, and letting blockchain-based contracts drive community-agreed decisions.
The Team Behind Oasys
The team behind Oasys comprises experts from top-tier gaming companies like Bandai Namco Research and PlayStation. Their shared vision of a GameFi-centric blockchain led to the platform’s success. Additionally, in adherence to decentralization, Oasys is on its way to becoming a DAO with a community-led governance.
Key Team Members:
- Ryo Matsubara – Representative Director
After a stint at Accenture post-university and later at gumi Inc., Ryo was pivotal in launching projects like gumi Cryptos Inc. He transitioned to doublejump.tokyo in 2021 and assumed his current role in February 2022.
Founding Members Include:
- Gabby Dizon: Co-founder of Yield Guild Games.
- Hajime Nakatani: CEO of Bandai Namco Research.
- Hironobu Ueno: CEO of double jump.tokyo.
- Hironao Kunimitsu: Founder of gumi and CEO of Thirdverse.
- Shuji Utsumi: Known for his contributions to PlayStation, co-founding Q Entertainment, and currently serving as Co-COO at SEGA CORPORATION.
Business Model & Tokenomics
Oasys offers game developers a seamless experience to build their games and metaverse. With fast transaction speeds, minimal gas fees, and an interconnected ecosystem of games and metaverses, the platform is poised for growth and innovation.
Customer Segments, Relationships, and Channels
- Game Developers: Engaged via direct sales, hackathons, and other events.
- Token Holders/Traders: Targeted through press releases and marketing campaigns.
The primary engagement channel for these customer segments is the Oasys platform.
The pivotal cost areas include:
- Software Development
- Marketing Initiatives
- Relationship Building
- Employee Compensation & Benefits
Oasys’ primary revenue model is rooted in its token economy. Having raised $20 million in 2022, the team plans to allocate these funds across six years. The transformation to a Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) is projected for 2028.
Tokenomics: A Multi-Token Economy
Oasys has instituted a unique multi-token economy, structured around three tokens, each tailored for specific purposes.
- OAS Tokens:
- Central to the Oasys ecosystem.
- Used for gas fees, deposits, staking rewards, and governance decisions.
- Listed on exchanges like OKX and ByBit.
- Verse Tokens:
- Intended for individual economies within each distinct virtual world or environment (Verse) in Oasys.
- Dapps Tokens:
- Crafted for in-game usage in gaming dapps. Developers use these tokens to fine-tune the economics (tokenomics) of their respective games.
The rationale behind this multi-token strategy, as opposed to a single-token economy, is the flexibility it offers. This approach permits Verse Builders and Game Developers to architect their distinct ecosystems freely. With Oasys’ focus on diversifying its gaming chain, it anticipates an array of virtual worlds (Verses) and a plethora of game genres. The token design needs to be adaptable enough to cater to the myriad of content types and businesses these Verses and games will host.
The structured multi-layered tokenomics allows each Verse Builder to mold its ecosystem, tailor-making token utilities, the token issuance quantity, allocations, and more, aligned with the Verse’s distinct characteristics. The versatility extends to games and Dapps too, enabling each to issue tokens and optimally design tokenomics tailored to their specific requirements.
Utilities of OAS Token
The OAS token, as the apex token in the Oasys ecosystem, holds paramount importance. Issued on the Oasys public chain, it seeks to optimize Oasys Tokenomics, with an initial supply of 10 billion tokens. Post-six years from the mainnet launch, the additional supply for staking rewards will be determined via decentralized governance by OAS token holders.
Key utilities of OAS tokens include
- Gas Fees
- Deposits for Verse Building
- Governance (Decentralized)
- Staking Rewards
Token Supply Curve
The circulating supply design is quintessential to the platform’s longevity and sustainable growth. A balanced supply curve ensures
- Stable Token Value: Preventing abrupt market fluctuations.
- Incentivized Participation: Encouraging stakeholders to engage with the platform in its early stages and sustaining this engagement.
- Future Development: Allowing enough liquidity for R&D, marketing, and other future endeavors.
- Controlled Inflation: Managing the release of new tokens into the market to avoid dilution and preserve value.
Oasys imagines a future enriched by the amalgamation of blockchain and gaming. The immediate roadmap emphasizes:
- Game Development:
- The creation of a flagship game, envisioned as the catalyst that propels Web3 games to mainstream adoption. This game will confirm the potential of Oasys.
- Non-Game Initiatives:
- Focusing on building the foundational tools imperative for a flourishing ecosystem:
- Wallets: Secure and user-friendly wallets to store, transfer, and manage OAS tokens.
- SDK (Software Development Kit): Tools for developers to create, test, and deploy their gaming dapps on Oasys.
- Bridges: Infrastructure that ensures seamless interoperability with other blockchains, making Oasys more accessible and integrated.
- Focusing on building the foundational tools imperative for a flourishing ecosystem:
Top Projects Building on Oasys
Oasys is quickly becoming a go-to ecosystem for top-tier gaming companies to launch and develop their next-generation gaming projects. Let’s delve into some of these:
- Champions Tactics by Ubisoft
- This player-vs-player game marks Ubisoft’s entry into the blockchain gaming realm. Announced in late June, it promises to bring competitive strategy elements to the Oasys platform.
- Battle of Three Kingdoms by SEGA
- Building on the classic strategy trading card IP Sangokushi Taisen, SEGA is reinvigorating this beloved game for the blockchain generation. It promises to blend traditional gameplay elements with the advantages of blockchain tech.
- Summoners War: Chronicles by Com2uS and XPLA
- This is an extension of the blockchain gaming ecosystem. Leveraging Oasys’s strengths, it aims to offer a seamless, engaging gaming experience to users.
NFTs on Oasys: The OasyX Project
NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) have revolutionized the concept of digital ownership. Oasys, not being left behind, has integrated NFTs within its ecosystem:
- OasyX: A collaborative venture with legendary game developer Yu Suzuki, OasyX stands as Oasys’s foray into the NFT world. By harnessing Oasys’s blockchain capabilities, this project paves the way for NFTs to be incorporated into gaming dapps seamlessly.
- Inaugural NFT Series: This series features 10,000 distinctive characters intended as foundational avatars for forthcoming Metaverse adventures. The versatility of the Oasys blockchain ensures these NFTs can be smoothly incorporated into a variety of games. The future is rife with possibilities, with a surge in NFT integrations anticipated.
Becoming an Oasys Validator
Validators play a pivotal role in the Oasys ecosystem, safeguarding its integrity and ensuring efficient transaction processing. Here’s the pathway to becoming a validator:
- Accumulate OAS Tokens: Secure a minimum of 10 million OAS tokens.
- Staking: Commit these tokens to the network via a validator contract.
- Active Participation: Provide indispensable security and computing prowess to the Oasys network.
- Earn Rewards: Validators are remunerated in OAS tokens, with the quantum of rewards being proportionate to the duration of their active participation.
Oasys is more than just a blockchain platform; it’s a paradigm shift in the gaming industry. By offering a tailored blockchain experience for gamers and developers, it paves the way for a more immersive and value-driven gaming landscape. Its technical innovations, especially the dual-layered architecture, are particularly promising for ensuring speed, scalability, and transactional efficiency. As traditional gaming powerhouses like Ubisoft and SEGA place their trust in Oasys, its future in reshaping the gaming industry seems bright and full of potential.
The multi-faceted token economy of Oasys, its structured approach to token allocation, supply management, and the clear roadmap, also positions the platform at the vanguard of blockchain gaming innovations. As it advances towards becoming a DAO by 2028, the system’s flexibility, adaptability, and user-centric design forecast a promising trajectory for the platform.
The subject matter and the content of this article are solely the views of the author. FinanceFeeds does not bear any legal responsibility for the content of this article and they do not reflect the viewpoint of FinanceFeeds or its editorial staff.