HKEX recognized by UK FCA, to open London office in H1 2023
“Together with our newly-opened New York office, our footprint will now cover all key global time zones, supporting us as we connect capital with opportunities and East with West.”
Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX) has announced plans to open an office in London in the first half of 2023 as the exchange group further expands its international reach.
The opening of the London office will make it easier for HKEX to connect with investors and other market participants during the European working day and enable the Group to build stronger ties with its clients throughout the region.
The office will complement HKEX’s existing international reach from its offices in Beijing, New York, Shanghai and Singapore.
HKEX’s footprint will now cover all key global time zones
Nicolas Aguzin, Chief Executive Officer at HKEX, said: “We are delighted to be opening HKEX’s first European office in London, one of the world’s most dynamic and vibrant financial, business and cultural cities. HKEX has strong ties with the financial community in London through the London Metal Exchange, and this new office will further strengthen our commitment to supporting the ambitions of our broad range of customers around the world. Together with our newly-opened New York office, our footprint will now cover all key global time zones, supporting us as we connect capital with opportunities and East with West.”
The new office will promote the attractiveness of HKEX’s international equities franchise, its exclusive connectivity with Mainland China’s capital markets and its rapidly expanding derivatives product suite.
It will also provide the Group’s European clients with on-the-ground expertise and insight on Hong Kong’s capital market opportunities and innovations.
The announcement follows the UK FCA’s approval of the HKEX subsidiaries – The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited and the Hong Kong Futures Exchange Limited – as Recognised Overseas Investment Exchanges.
The new office will be overseen by Head of EMEA Business Development, Raymond Wong, who will report to Kevin Rideout, HKEX Co-Head of Sales and Marketing.
A few highlights regarding HKEX and its attractiveness for investors in the UK and EMEA, include:
- International investors account for around 41% of Hong Kong’s cash equities market trading turnover, with European investors accounting for 10% of total turnover;
- Hong Kong is one of Asia’s biggest listing venues for new economy and biotech companies;
- HKEX has a unique cash and derivatives product ecosystem with underlying in Greater China, Asia Pacific and beyond, including a vast suite of futures and options products that track Hang Seng and MSCI indexes;
- Over 70% of all international investments into China’s A-share equities market are held via HKEX’s Stock Connect programme, which provides international investors with exclusive and reliable access to the A-share market;
- HKEX’s Connect infrastructure continues to develop: international companies that primary list in Hong Kong will soon have direct access to Mainland China investors, providing another compelling reason for a Hong Kong listing